Nelly the Elephant packed her defibrillator and said hello to the crash team
I learnt yesterday that Nelly the Elephant is the song you should be singing when giving chest compressions in CPR. The way you are taught artificial respiration, you should be giving 15 compressions at a rate of 100 per minute. Which is exactly what you will get if you do them in time to the first verse of Nelly the Elephant: 15 at 100bpm. Try it. (Not on a person, obviously.)
I learnt this from a non-medical source and so it naturally raises some issues of taste and professional image. My advice would be to not actually sing the song aloud whilst performing resuss.
I have to read an article on inflammatory bowel disease now.
I learnt this from a non-medical source and so it naturally raises some issues of taste and professional image. My advice would be to not actually sing the song aloud whilst performing resuss.
I have to read an article on inflammatory bowel disease now.

11 Comments:
Oooh... welcome to my world... (Imflammatory bowel disease, that is, not Nelly The Elephant and her defribrillators.)
IBD is an option I chose. Do you know much about what causes it? I'll be investigating it this term.
Come home!!!! I miss your dry sense of humour too much!! (aahhh. she suddenly realises that none of us know whats home anymore!)
Oo, they played that in a club I was in last week. A bit surreal, but I enjoyed it!
Great title. I wonder, would Baby Got Back be too fast? Maybe try a range of beats/rhythms. The startling lyrics might go some way to helping start the heart again. Whats that? He likes big butts? Thats almost shocking enough to flood my body with adrenaline and...viola! I'm healed!
Just make sure you don't think of all this stuff mid-procedure.
We learnt about Nelly the Elephant on my last 1st aid course too - and yes, the instructor did recommend we didn't sing out loud! Apparently the Archers theme tune works as well...
Hello Martha. Glad you found your way here.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hmm... on my blog I can fully delete comments, I thought I could edit it and add what I wanted to add without anyone knowing... sneaky...
But no.
Stress causes it, extreme stress, and stress.
Also (and this is what I was trying to sneak in without anyone knowing) I think it was a particularly bad bout of flu that started it in the first place.
Viral stuff, low immune system, stress. Combination of factors, really.
What made you choose it?
Thank you. I chose it because it was available and I know someone with it ;-)
Anyone else out there with an interesting condition?
My housemates are overjoyed that I may have hyperthyroidism, as they were studying the thyroid last year. I even tested one of them on the topic, so learnt a lot (none of which I can remember) about T3, T4, the pitu..it..ary(?) gland and Kleinfelt disease, or soemthing.
Post a Comment
<< Home