The Lonely Beach
One of the nice things about the East Yorkshire coast is that there are great stretches of it with nothing there; apart from the odd RAF station, caravan pack or industrial plant. But apart from these obvious attractions, there's just miles of empty beach.

Today I had a day off and went in search of some solitude. Up the coast from Hull is the little village of Mappleton. There's not much there so I parked the car on the cliff and walked down to the sea. After passing about half a dozen signs from the East Riding Council and the MOD warning me that my little walk could end with me being variously blown up, drownded or squashed by falling cliffs, I discovered this.

Sorry it's a bad photo - old camera phone.
If you've seen the beginning of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind it was a lot like that, but without the snow. And probably more pollution. Oh, and I didn't meet Kate Winslet either.
I love the seaside in winter. But I never realised how lonely the sea is. Especially when it's just you and it. No holiday-makers. No festive summer atmosphere. Just a giant and intimidating body of water stretching farther than you can see.
These post are getting very philosophical. I think it must be the end of term.

Today I had a day off and went in search of some solitude. Up the coast from Hull is the little village of Mappleton. There's not much there so I parked the car on the cliff and walked down to the sea. After passing about half a dozen signs from the East Riding Council and the MOD warning me that my little walk could end with me being variously blown up, drownded or squashed by falling cliffs, I discovered this.

Sorry it's a bad photo - old camera phone.
If you've seen the beginning of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind it was a lot like that, but without the snow. And probably more pollution. Oh, and I didn't meet Kate Winslet either.
I love the seaside in winter. But I never realised how lonely the sea is. Especially when it's just you and it. No holiday-makers. No festive summer atmosphere. Just a giant and intimidating body of water stretching farther than you can see.
These post are getting very philosophical. I think it must be the end of term.

2 Comments:
I find the sea immensely powerful, totally terrifying, and very awesome (and always have done). It helps me engage with one aspect of God's character in a way that nothing else can. In the face of all that uncontrolable power you feel very vulnerable. (reflecting, I think this made your baptism particularly profound for me - that's the deepest I've ever dared to go.) Glad you are exploring.
amen to everything joe said. it scares the crap out of me but is kind of electrifying and humbling at same time. i like it when you're on a boat and you can only see sea in every direction
Post a Comment
<< Home